Friday, July 31, 2015

When Life Gets in the Way of Writing Conferences

7/11/2015 I married this awesome guy


Classic novels lined the aisle.


Earlier this month I got married to a great man, but I have to admit that it put a bit of a wrench in my summer plans. Last year, I was attending SCBWI & then Breadloaf writing conferences back to back and churning out a lot of writing. This year I've been wedding planning/ honeymooning/ moving stuff/ etc. and the writing conferences I crave so desperately for classes in craft have had to be sidelined a bit. Triona wrote a great blog this week about why you need to go to conferences (you really should go if you can!), but I'm going to list a few of my recent finds on how to gain access to some of the best writing instruction around that you can listen to while unpacking boxes, running errands, etc., and best of all they're free. Granted, none of these are specifically geared to the YA market, but they do have some of the best living literary writers speaking so it's a great foundational education in craft.

1. Breadloaf: This writing conference is competitive and expensive (totally worth it). Thankfully, though, you can get a lot of the craft classes from each year online via podcast. You do have to download iTunes U if you don't have it first, and sometimes it's buggy. http://www.middlebury.edu/bread-loaf-conferences/bread_loaf_community/listen_to_lectures_and_readings

2. Tin House: Another of the competitive and expensive conference crowd (I haven't been, but hear great things), you can hear their classes/readings as well online and don't need iTunes U. I like the lectures more than the readings, personally, but all are nice to hear. http://www.tinhouse.com/blog/podcasts

So happy that blogmate JP could make it!
3. AWP: This conference is open to everyone, and has a great treasure trove of past recordings from sessions. I really like the ending of many of the panels when the writers discuss how they approach the topic of the session, and the first one on the list on structure is awesome. https://www.awpwriter.org/magazine_media/podcast_series

Please let me know if I'm missing any important ones, I'm always on the lookout for great writing instruction, especially when it's free!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Glad that you have been Keeping It Real. Congratulations on the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a gorgeous evening! Not just a great wedding but a wonderful night for book lovers!

    ReplyDelete